close

FOREIGN

Woman Declared as President Elect of Singapore

5957227_halimahyacob_jpeg63105156743202aab40d272cc548f01c

A 63 year old woman, Halimah Yacob has been declared Singapore’s eighth president on Wednesday after a “walkover” election that saw no vote after no other contenders ran for the position, as the first female presiden of Singapore

She had been the only candidate deemed eligible to stand in the country’s Elections Department, having held a key public position as speaker of parliament for three years while the other two contenders, Salleh Marican and Farid Khan, were both denied eligibility, owing to the fact that they fell short of a constitutional rule that required any candidate from the private sector to have led a company with shareholder equity of at least 500 million Singapore dollars (372 million dollars). [A queer rule]

Following the announcement, Yacob thanked her supporters in a speech, calling it a “a proud moment for Singapore, for multiculturalism and multi-racialism.”

Halimah Yacob is Singapore’s first Malay president in 47 years and the first woman to occupy the president’s office.

read more

China Restricts Children From Attending Churches

5910020_43b49ced000005780imagea131504087021638_jpegd2b4ae91506b3196754b036aae1ad461

The Chinese Government has banned children from attending churches in the country.

This is said to be an effort to tighten their grip on religious activities.

The new directive by the Government also prohibits children from attending religious sermons and other related activities across China.

This control on churches in the country begun many years ago when places of worship were take off crosses from their buildings in Zhejiang Province.

According to a researcher for Amnesty International, William Nee, who spoke to MailOnline UK, “At this point it’s unclear how widespread the ban on children attending church services are in China, but these alarming reports seem to be coming in from fairly diverse areas throughout the country.”

He further elucidates that the move reflects the tightening control of religion in “particular Islam and Christianity under the present administration” in the Asian country, adding that, “In an important speech on religion last year, the President, Xi Jinping, said that young people must study science, believe in science and develop a ‘correct’ worldview and set of values.

“It could be that the government is concerned that young people going to church or religious activities may challenge their monopoly on truth and the government’s ability to instill its own historical narratives and worldview through the public education system‎.”

read more

South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma survives #NoConfidenceVote

5783377_hhhhj_jpeg4fc3aebe1c7ee4436a422a22548f48de

South African President, Jacob Zuma has just survived a vote of no confidence procedure that could have led to his impeachment.

Despite having the ballot held in secret, opposition parties had hoped the secret vote would mean Members of Parliament from the governing African National Congress (ANC) might side with them against the president.

But Zuma narrowly survived by 198 votes in his favour to 177 votes against him while 9 MPS abstained.

In order for the no-confidence motion to pass, at least 50 out of the ANC’s 249 MPs would have had to vote against the president. However, the result means at least 26 ANC MPs rebelled, while another nine MPs abstained from voting.

South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma survives #NoConfidenceVote

FOR – 177

AGAINST – 198

ABSTAINED – 9

read more

How we turned up for the #GoogleForNigeria event

20170727_115730
Noble Igwe, Tosyn Buknor, CuteKimani

The  Google Nigeria team hosted I and other top notch influencers to a private dinner last week to announce its plans for the #GoogleForNigeria week.

Cutekimani

The week kicked off with various session and today was also well attended with lots of industry bigwigs

CEO of Google Inc., Sundar Pichai

The event brought together personalities from the music, fashion and even travel industries.

the high point of the event was when the CEO of Google Inc., Sundar Pichai mounted the podium.

He announced that the tech giant would be training about 10 million Africans in the next five years.

Making the internet work better for everyone in Africa

Announcing the progress made in its products and features for users in Nigeria, including YouTube, Search and Maps.

Google will also be focusing on digital skills training, education and economic opportunity, and support for African startups and developers.

read more

Saudi Arabia Investigates Woman Who Wore Miniskirt In Public (picture/video)

Saudi authorities are investigating footage of a woman wearing a

A Saudi woman who posted a video of herself wearing a miniskirt and crop top in public is being investigated by the country’s religious police.
The young woman, a model reportedly called Khulood, potsed the short clip on Snapchat showing herself walking around a historic fort in Ushayqir.

Ushayqir Heritage Village, which is around 96 miles away from Riyadh, is in Najd – one of the country’s most conservative provinces.
Since the video was shared online, many Saudis have called for Khulood to be arrested for breaking the country’s strict dress code.
Women in Saudi Arabia are required to wear ‘abayas’ – loose-fitting, full-length robes – and headscarves.

 

According to the BBC, journalist Khaled Zian tweeted: ‘The return of the Haia [religious police] here is a must.’
And another user argued: ‘We should respect the laws of the country.

‘In France, the niqab is banned and women are fined if they wear it. In Saudi Arabia, wearing abayas and modest clothing is part of the kingdom’s laws.’
But many other Saudis came to the woman’s defence, calling her ‘brave’ and pointing out the hypocrisy of calling for her arrest, while praising western women who dress in the same way.
Wael al-Gassim, the writer and philosopher, told the BBC he was ‘shocked to see those angry, scary tweets’.
‘I thought she had bombed or killed somebody. The story turned out to be about her skirt, which they did not like,’ he said.

Some also noted that Melania Trump chose not to wear an abaya during her husband’s visit to Saudi in May, and yet was praised for her choice of dress.
Fatima al-Issa tweeted in Arabic: ‘If she were a foreigner, they would sing about the beauty of her waist and the enchantment of her eyes… But because she is Saudi they are calling for her arrest.’
Saudi’s religious police, the Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, tweeted that it was aware of the video and was in contact with the relevant authorities.

read more

Lady Hangs On Power Line After Jumping From Window When Lover’s Wife Came Home In China

5595512_420152D9000005784662528imagea381499113825607_jpga71298bea76fd9645d7acffc08bd2cfc
A partly undressed woman was filmed dangling from electric cables above street in China after her alleged lover’s wife reportedly arrived home earlier than expected.

In the distressing and embarrassing clip shared online, the woman’s limp body can be seen hanging from the power lines as a crowd forms in the street below her.

Several men step forward to help the ‘mistress‘, who is wearing tiny red shorts and a matching crop top.

A long ladder is shown being rested against the wall nearest the woman in a bid to bring her down.

It is not clear how badly the woman was injured in the ordeal.

read more

Young Nigerians Receive Honorary Award from Queen Elizabeth

5575756_fbimg1498831904205_jpeg44985677c83b485b40da35d1f563cf28

Bukola Bolarinwa, a 28-Year-Old Nigerian lady has received the Queens Young Leaders Award from Queen Elizabeth of England.

Bukola is the founder of Haima Health Initiative, an online blood donation platform which supports hospitals who struggle to find blood in a safe and timely way.

Congratulations are in order as well to Nasir Yammama (CEO Verdant Agri-Tech), for yet another recognition.The Katsina indigene was honored as one of this year’s Queen’s Young Leaders – outstanding and accomplished young leaders across the world.

 

HRH Prince Harry and celebrities including Liam Payne Mo Farah and Caspar Lee got the opportunity to meet some of the Award winners and chat with them about their projects at One Show broadcast where they were honored.

 

Things you need to know about Nadir Yammama:

Nasir Yammama is a Creative Technologist and Entrepreneur. He is the founder of Verdant, an Agri-Tech value chain company that offers innovative solutions to farmers and other stakeholders for improved food production using novel technologies. He is interested in technology, design, enterprise, renewable energies, and agriculture.

He hails from Malumfashi, in Katsina state. He attended Government Secondary School, Minna, Niger State, from where he won many IT competitions across the globe. In his teens, he won Digital Peers International’s ‘Digitest’, a youth competition aimed at showcasing digital excellence among youth (Abuja, Singapore and Dubai).

He also represented Nigeria and won first place in interdisciplinary category in Mtnadao Afrika, an IT youth camp and contest for all African nations in Cairo, Egypt. He completed his Secondary education in Government Secondary School Minna ( now Fr O’Connell College )in 2008.

The Queen’s Young Leaders Awards recognizes and celebrates exceptional young people aged 18 to 29 in the Commonwealth who are driving change within their communities and transforming people’s lives.

 

read more

27 Storey London Tower Block Catches Fire, Many Feared Dead(photos)

5495150_4167E821000005784601902imagea91497417535129_jpgfe47f44ffc494aa64e36e8798e2f13b1

Dozens of people are feared dead today after an inferno believed to have started when a fridge exploded in a 27-storey west London tower block in just 15 minutes.

Residents were seen throwing themselves and their children out of windows to avoid being burned to death – others made ropes by tying sheets together as fire engulfed Grenfell Tower in White City at 1am today.

But a baby tossed from the ‘ninth or 10th floor’ of the building housing 600 people was caught by a member of the public and survived with only broken bones and bruises, a witness has said.

The trapped, some of whom are still inside, were heard begging for their lives screamed ‘help me’ while waving white towels, torches and mobile phones to attract the attention of the 200 firefighters who started storming the building within six minutes of the 999 call.

Those who managed to flee said it was ‘like hell on earth’ inside and compared the disaster to the 9/11 attack – and also revealed there was no working fire alarm, sprinklers failed and the only staircase out was blocked.

The building’s new cladding completed during a recent £10million refurbishment ‘went up like a match’ and sped up the blaze, another said.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has also demanded to know why Grenfell residents were told to ‘stay put’ in their flats for up to an hour in the event of a fire and will investigate claims that residents repeatedly warned that many people would die in the event of a major fire.

Dany Cotton, Commissioner of the London Fire Brigade, said there had been ‘a number of fatalities’ while the London Ambulance Service said 50 people are in hospital and paramedics are treating many more walking wounded for smoke inhalation and minor burns.

Desperate survivors being cared for in several west London rescue shelters have seen sobbing as family and loved-ones, including dozens of children, remain unaccounted for.

Some residents are still stuck inside the block on the 11th floor, with firefighters still desperately trying to reach them.

Source: BBC News

read more

Missing Myanmar Plane With 104 On Board Found With Scattered Parts

no thumb

 

Fragments from a missing Myanmar military plane carrying more than 100 people was found in the Andaman Sea late Wednesday, a local official and an air force source told AFP.

“Now they have found pieces of the damaged plane in the sea 136 miles (218 km) away from Dawei city,” said Naing Lin Zaw, a tourism official in Myeik city, adding that the navy was still searching the sea.

An air force source requesting anonymity confirmed a navy search and rescue ship had found pieces of the plane.
“Communication was lost suddenly at about 1:35 pm (07:05 GMT) when it reached about 20 miles west of Dawei town,” the office of military commander-in-chief Min Aung Hlaing said in a statement.

Four naval ships and two air force planes have been sent to search for the plane, which was flying between the southern city of Myeik and Yangon at more than 18,000 feet when it went missing.

Dawei is a port town an hour’s flight south of Yangon, Myanmar’s commercial capital.

The office said 90 passengers — servicemen from Myeik air force command and family members — were on board as well as 14 crew members.

It said the plane was delivered in March last year and had 809 flying hours.

“We think it was a technical failure. Weather is fine there,” an airport source told AFP, asking not to be named, including that there was no news of the plane so far.

Myanmar’s military fleet has a chequered recent history of plane crashes.

All five crew members died when an air force plane burst into flames soon after taking off from the capital Naypyidaw in February last year.

Three army officers were killed in June when their Mi-2 helicopter crashed into a hillside and burst into flames in south-central Bago.

The missing plane is a Y-8F-200 four-engine turboprop, a Chinese-made model still commonly used by Myanmar’s military for transporting cargo.

The former military junta bought many of the aircraft from Myanmar’s giant neighbour during their 50 years of isolated rule, when they were squeezed by Western sanctions.

A former executive at Myanmar’s aviation ministry said it was one of China’s most popular military and civilian transport aircraft

 

read more

Ariana Grande announces Manchester benefit concert For Victims of Attack

2589

  Award winning musician, Ariana Grande has announced she will return to Manchester, England, once more for a benefit concert following a terror attack at her concert earlier this week.

The event, she said, will honor and raise money for the victims and their families.
“I want to thank my fellow musicians and friends for reaching out to be part of our expression of love for Manchester,” she said in a letter posted Friday to social media. “I will have details to share with you as soon as everything is confirmed.”
In the note, Grande applauded her fans for their response to the incident, which had 22 people dead and more than 60 injured, including young children and teens.
Days after the attack, Ariana’s fan base who call themselves “Arianators” rallied behind o

ne another with messages of support across social media.
In an online campaign, to which Grande shared a link, more than $2 million has been raised so far for victims and their families.
“The compassion, kindness, love, strength and oneness that you’ve shown one another this past week is the exact opposite of the heinous intentions it must take to pull off something as evil as what happened Monday,” she wrote.

View image on Twitter

She encouraged her fans to not “operate in fear.”
“Our response to this violence must be to come closer together, to help each other, to love more, to sing louder and to live more kindly and generously than we did before,” she wrote.
According to CNN, Ariana Grande did not offer an update on when she intended to resume her Dangerous Woman Tour, which was suspended in lieu of the attack.
In a statement on Wednesday, her management announced all dates through June 5 had been canceled.
CNN reports that Ariana retreated to her hometown of Boca Raton, Florida, days after the attack.
“We will continue to honor the ones we lost, their loved ones, my fans, and all affected by this tragedy,” she added. “They will be on my mind and in my heart everyday and I will think of them with everything I do for the rest of my life.”
read more

“James Bond” is Dead!! :Sir Roger Moore, “James Bond” Actor Dies At 89

5369323_170pxrogermooreatthesetsofseawolves_jpeg8c7a75ea9aa01d8d4d157309e331b9bf

Veteran Actor, Sir Roger Moore popularly known as “James Bond” has died at 89

His death was announced in a statement released by his family on twitter on Tuesday.

“With the heaviest of hearts, we must share the awful news that our father, Sir Roger Moore, passed away today. We are all devastated” the family tweeted.

According to the statement, ‘he died after a short but brave battle with cancer’. May his soul rest in peace.

 

read more

Anne-Marie Imafidon Awarded By Queen Elizabeth With the Prestigious Honour of Member of the Most Excellent British Empire (MBE)

5346252_jafut3_jpeg5f9b7724a5503d55600c03e984b90ffa

27 year old Anne-Marie Osawemwemze Imafidon whose is an indigene of Edo State in Nigeria was decorated today by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, with the prestigious honour of Member of the Most Excellent British Empire (MBE) for her services to young women with specialty in Sciences, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.

An MBE is an award given by the Queen to an individual for outstanding service to the community or local hands-on service.

 

Anne-Marie Imafidon and her father, Prof. Chris Imafidon, arrived for a reception at Buckingham Palace after which they will be heading for a follow up and ice-cream party at Kensington Palace in London.

prof Chris Imafidon

 

Watch the video here

1 Like

read more

Plane Carrying 4 People And 2 Children Missing Over Bermuda, Bahamas

http _prod.static9.net.au___media_2017_05_17_07_40_missing-plane-2.ashx w=603

The US Coast Guard is currently searching over the Bahamas in the Bermuda Triangle for a small overdue plane with four people including two children from New York aboard.

The Pilot, Nathan Ulrich, 52, of New Hampshire, and Jennifer Blumin, 40, of New York, who is the Founder and CEO of event management firm, Skylight Group, along with her sons, Phineas, four, and two-year-old Theodore, were identified as the people on board.

The US Coast Guard says the twin-engine MU-2B turboprop, manufactured by Mitsubishi, was 37 miles east of the island of Eleuthera on Monday when air traffic control in Miami lost radar and radio contact with the plane around 2.10pm.

The airplane departed Borinquen, Puerto Rico, at approximately 11am Monday and never made it to its destination of Titusville, along the northeastern coast of Florida.

Their plane was at about 24,000 feet when air traffic control lost contact. The US Coast Guard said searchers had located debris about 64 kilometres east of Eleuthera, but have not confirmed it is from the missing plane.

Anyone who has heard the famed tale of the mysterious Bermuda triangle can only pray for them. For those who do not know, nothing has ever been recovered from the Bermuda triangle. None have lived to tell any tale about it. it is regarded as “one of life’s strangest mysteries”

 

The missing plane. (US Coast Guard)
the missing plane. (us coast guard)
read more
1 2 3 6
Page 1 of 6