close

NEWS

FG approves 29-member committee on minimum wage

download

The Federal Government on Wednesday approved a 29-member tripartite committee on a new minimum wage being clamoured for by the workers.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, disclosed this to State House correspondents at the end of the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council presided over by the Acting President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo.

Ngige said the approval came after an extensive deliberation on the report of a technical committee on the issue, which he chaired.

“The matter needs to be thrashed out by all stakeholders, because already, employers under the umbrella of the Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association have rejected the N56,000 minimum wage proposal,” the minister said.

The tripartite committee will be chaired by a seasoned technocrat appointed by the Federal Government, which will also nominate five of the members, while six state governors will also be members.

The Minister of Budget and National Planning, Udo Udoma, said the 2017 Appropriation Bill, which the National Assembly transmitted to the Executive last Friday, was still undergoing analysis.

Udoma explained that at the end of the analysis being carried out by all ministers, recommendations would be made to the President.

“When the budget is approved, we first analyse it, review it and then make our recommendations to the President. We are working hard, we are still in the analysing process and getting inputs from the ministers,” he said.

The minister described the Gross Domestic Product figures released by the National Bureau of Statistics on Tuesday as encouraging and an indication that the government’s interventions were working.

“This is the best figure released in four quarters and there is still enough time to make more efforts to stimulate the economy,” Udoma stated.

He said the government would continue with the implementation of the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan.

Udoma added, “We believe that the interventions we are making and the steps we are taking are in the right direction.

“The results that were released were for one quarter. There are still three quarters and we have enough time to do better; we will work hard to continue to stimulate the economy to meet our target.”

The Minister of Interior, Abdurahman Danbazzau, said Osinbajo directed that a proposal for the decongestion and expansion of prisons as well as the establishment of six ‘half-way houses’ across the country be presented to the National Economic Council for more inputs.

He noted that some of the prisons in the country were 100 years old, adding that deplorable prison conditions were worsened by the fact that 70 per cent of inmates were awaiting trial, while five per cent of the remainder were on death row.

read more

8-year-old maid beaten to death by her madam in Lagos

ya

An 8-year-old girl has died in Lagos after she was beaten to death by her female employer. The suspect, who is a mother-of-two and pregnant with her third, was reportedly in the habit of maltreating the victim and a second house help living with her.

According to neighbours, the suspect, known as Oby in her neighbourhood in Isolo, ‘usually beats and overworks’ the deceased, Miracle Edegwu, and her colleague. She had also withdrawn both girls from school after she brought them from Anambra state to Lagos. When neighbours confronted her about the way she treated the girls, she remained defiant and told them to mind their business.

Early on Saturday morning, she launched another attack on the little girl, leading to her death.

After Miracle died, Oby tried to cover her death by contacting people to assist in covertly disposing of the body but they were caught by neighbours who then reported to the authorities. The suspect was then detained at the Isolo Police Division.

The victim’s corpse had been deposited at the Isolo General Hospital.

read more

Bomber ‘was pictured wearing backpack at Manchester’s Arndale Centre three days before atrocity’

article-4539162-40C1BD7600000578-194_308x534
CCTV appears to show suicide bomber Salman Abedi with a backpack similar to the one used to conceal the explosives he used to kill 22 people on Monday night.
Video taken in Manchester’s Arndale Centre allegedly shows the 22-year-old shopping just three days before he blew himself up after an Ariana Grande concert.  The thin man, wearing trainers and a baseball cap, was caught on camera in the centre on Friday night, reports Sky News. (UK Daily Mail)
read more

Pic of IThe Trumps’ meeting Pope Francis with their heads covered sparks comparison with their Saudi Arabia visit

j

Donald Trump met with Pope Francis at the Vatican today but he did not go on the visit alone. He had with him his wife, Melania, his daughter, Ivanka, and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner. Of note, is that both Trump women were wearing head coverings, a piece of clothing they both went without when they visited the Islamic country, Saudi Arabia.

A number of people noticed this and asked questions. Well, there’s a reason for that and it has been explained by the First Lady’s spokeswoman. She said that Saudi Arabia did not specifically ask both women to cover their hair while visiting but the Vatican protocol is formal black clothing with a veil so the women had to respect that and comply.
In line with the Vatican dress code, Ivanka and Melania wore similar black dresses with very long sleeves that extend to the wrist and a hemline several inches below the knee. They both completed their look with black shoes while Ivanka accessorised with a white necklace.
read more

KANO ASSEMBLY SUSPENDS PROBE OF KANO EMIRATES

2 (1)

After receiving a letter from the State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, the Kano State House Assembly on Monday called off its investigation into allegations of misappropriation of funds and other infractions against the Kano Emirates Council.If you recall, the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II was accused of financial recklessness, with an allegation stating that he spent as much as N6 billion since he ascended the throne in 2014. The emirate reacted through its senior council official in charge of finance, Bashir Wali, who told reporters that only N3.4 billion had been spent since Sanusi ascended the throne in 2014.
In the letter read during Monday’s plenary by the Speaker, Mr Kabiru Alhassan Rurum, the governor urged the Assembly to suspend its investigation following pleas by former leaders, traditional rulers and various statesmen across the federation for the matter to be dropped.
The Speaker presented the request to the lawmakers for consideration and they all agreed to end the investigation.
read more

ISIS CLAIMS RESPONSIBILTY FOR THE MANCHESTER ARENA SUICIDE BOMBING THAT KILLED AT LEAST 22 PEOPLE AND INJURED MANY

aa

Dreaded terrorist group, ISIS has claimed responsibility for the deadly attack which occurred last night, killing 22 people, most of them children and their parents.

The terrorist group released a statement today in several languages through its central media body where they praised the attack and claimed more than 100 “crusaders” were killed or wounded at the “shameless” concert.

The statement went on to hail the suicide bomber as a “soldier of the caliphate” and threatened that what would come next would be more severe on the “worshippers of the Cross and their allies, by Allah’s permission.”

“With Allah’s grace and support, a soldier of the Khilafah [caliphate] managed to place explosive devices in the midst of the gatherings of the crusaders in the British city of Manchester,” the English version of the statement read.

Isis said the attack aimed to terrorize “infidels…in response to their transgressions against the lands of the Muslims”. The attacker was not named as a “martyr” as happens with other suicide bombers. This suggests that the attack may not have been a suicide attack, though police statements reveal that the perpetrator died at the scene.

The full statement from Isis read: “With Allah’s grace and support, a soldier of the Khilafah managed to place explosive devices in the midst of the gatherings of the Crusaders in the British city of Manchester, in revenge for Allah’s religion, in an endeavor to terrorize the mushrikin, and in response to their transgressions against the lands of the Muslims.

“The explosive devices were detonated in the shameless concert arena, resulting in 30 (sic) Crusaders being killed and 70 others wounded.

“And what comes next will be more severe on the worshippers of the Cross and their allies, by Allah’s permission.

“And all praise is due to Allah, Lord of the creation.”

read more

Suicide bombing at Manchester Arena treated as a terrorist attack

1a

The bomb explosion at Manchester Arena, which killed 19 people and injured scores others is being treated as a terrorist attack for now, until police know otherwise, Greater Manchester Police said in a statement. A U.S. law enforcement source who received a preliminary briefing said the situation is fluid but that there were two explosions that contained nails, CBS News investigative producer Pat Milton reports.

A large number of young children, as young as 6 were at the concert.

A man has reportedly been detained in a vehicle but it is not clear what, if any, involvement that potential suspect may have had in the incident. Witnesses reported hearing two loud bangs coming from near the arena’s bars.

“A huge bomb-like bang went off that hugely panicked everyone and we were all trying to flee the arena,” concertgoer Majid Khan, 22, told Britain’s Press Association.

“It was one bang and essentially everyone from the other side of the arena where the bang was heard from suddenly came running towards us as they were trying to exit.”

Video from inside the arena showed concertgoers screaming as they made their way out amid a sea of pink balloons.
There were an estimated 20,000 people inside the arena on Monday night. Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the Labour Party, responded to reports of the incident on Twitter.

“Terrible incident in Manchester,” he said. “My thoughts are with all those affected and our brilliant emergency services.”

UPDATE: The suicide bomber who caused the explosion was said to have been denied entry into the arena so he waited by the exit outside the concert.
It is reported that he detonated the bomb as concert goers started leaving the event.
The man detained has reportedly been released.

read more

19 people killed, several others injured at Ariana Grande’s concert in Manchester

Screenshot_20170522-183324

About 20 people have been confirmed dead and several others injured at Ariana Grande’s concert in Manchester, United Kingdom on Monday evening.

Greater Manchester Police at least 19 people are dead and about 50 people injured. They say there are a “number of confirmed fatalities and others injured.” It’s unclear if the injuries are from the stampede or from a blast. Police have not confirmed the source of the explosion.

A video posted on social media purportedly shows a flash in the arena. Watch a video from the scene below…

read more

Ebola: Fourth deaths recorded in the Democratic Republic of Congo

2
The World Health Organization (WHO) on Monday announced that a fourth person has died in the Ebola virus outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
WHO’s spokesman, Eugene Kabambi made the disclosure while revealing that 37 suspected cases are currently being monitored since the virus resurfaced on the 12th of May in the north-eastern Bas-Uele province.

According to him, two were confirmed in the laboratory and three were regarded as probable Ebola cases.
He also revealed that people who came in contact with the first case in April after 21 days of observation were declared Ebola free.
‘People who were in contact with the first case reported on April 22 came out unscathed after the 21 days of observation.’
The Democratic Republic of the Congo has suffered seven previous outbreaks of Ebola since the virus was discovered in the country in 1976. The last outbreak, in 2014, left 49 people dead.
read more

Pics: Police disrupt protest by Shi’ite members in Abuja

2ab

The Nigeria Police officers employed the use of teargas and water tanks to disrupt a protest by Shi’ite members at the National Human Rights commission in Abuja today. Members of the Islamic group were demanding the release of their leader, Ibrahim El-Zakzaky who has been in military custody since December 2015. See more photos after the cut…

 

 

read more

Explosion hits Ariana Grande’s concert in Manchester several people injured

Screenshot_20170522-183324

Thousands of Ariana Grande fans experienced a frightening concert experience Monday evening when two loud bangs described as “explosions” rocked the arena. sending scores of people running for safety. According to various attendees tweeting from the Manchester Arena in the United Kingdom, a loud sound was heard prompting several fans to leave the area. Police were called and rushed out to the scene.

“Emergency services responding to serious incident at Manchester Arena. Avoid the area. More details will follow as soon as available,” Greater Manchester police shared.
Authorities would late release a statement confirming that they are responding to reports of an explosion. There are a number of confirmed fatalities and others injured.

 

Ariana is said to be okay.

read more
1 2 3 25
Page 1 of 25